Tuesday, June 25, 2013

5 Reasons to Write Your Wife a Love Letter


Men, I have been writing my wife a weekly love letter for more than a year. That’s not a sentence I would have ever expected to write about myself. I am not a man of outward sentimentality, and I very rarely make my emotions known. Most people would call me calm and hard to read.

But, men, what I learned is this: as good as it can be for me to remain solid and calm in the storms of life, my wife needs something more. My wife needs to be loved, and she wants to be romanced. I learned after a year of marriage that it wasn’t enough to just show up, and I couldn’t stop with just providing a paycheck. I needed to do more to show my wife how much I love her.

And I don’t think I am alone. I bet that your wives also want to be loved and hear from your heart. They want to know just how deeply you love them.

I am not going to push you all to start writing a weekly blog to your wife. Instead, I want to encourage you to start small. All I want you to do is this: I want you to write a short, handwritten letter to your wife today, right now. Think of one thing about her or one thing she does that makes you thankful to have married her. Write it down and give her that note. Let her know you love and appreciate her.

In case you aren’t already convinced about writing that love note, let me offer you
Five Reasons why you should be writing love notes to your wife.


1) You will fan the flames of love in your marriage.

Gary Chapman famously explained the concept of LoveLanguages, and the first language he describes in book is Words of Affirmation. For many women, they feel most loved when they are spoken to kindly, when they are praised, and when they are otherwise wooed with your words. Your wife will know she is loved when she reads that short note from you.

Go ahead and write a short love note now. Just put down two sentences about one thing you like about your wife. Now leave the note on your wife’s bedside table. Just trust me on this one.

2) The smartest man in the world gave his wife love notes.


6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this, Bryan. It's a privilege to be featured on Manturity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Josh, this is an amazing post that so many husbands need to read and act upon! Thank you again for sharing!

      Delete
  2. Great post Bryan. Thank you for writing this. It will really help me express my love to my wife. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, I have to thank Josh for this one. He has a true gift of writing love letters. Thank you for the comment and I pray God continues to bless your marriage!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the idea not to go into great detail ive been married 6 yrs i truly love her but have been showing love to her in a way that doesnt reach her. we're having comunication problems and was wondering if in my love letter its ok to say that im a fool for her, a fool for not seeing the beatiful gem in front of me, etc and along with complimenting her abilities would be a good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave, thanks for getting into this post. I think that your ideas are very good. You want the letter to be from your heart. Were you able to read the entire post on the new site? The remaining points give some great insight.

      I would also suggest reading a book together, or by yourself, called "Love and Respect." She needs love and you need respect. I really believe this book could transform your marriage and communication.

      Don't wait any longer, write that love letter this week and have it ready for her by the weekend. It will be a great thing for your marriage. Make sure whatever you write, you live it out. She needs to know you are serious. Please come back and let me know if you need any more help or questions answered. I'm here to help.

      Delete